Eid Moubarak to all the Muslims around the world with all best best wishes
These are my Makrouts for The day of Eid fitr
A delicious moroccan pastry made by semolina and date
for the dough:
2 cups of semolina
1/3 cup of blossom water
1 stick of butter (8 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon of sugar
A pinch of salt
Ingredients for the filling:
2 cups of pitted dates
1 tablespoon of blossom water
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Steps to make the dough:
- Melt the butter.
- Mix the semolina, sugar and salt.
- Slowly add the melted butter to the cornmeal while mixing thoroughly.
- Transfer the cornmeal mixture in a flat surface. Work the dough while adding the blossom water until you get a very smooth texture.
Note: You might need to slightly increase/reduce the amount of butter and blossom water depending on the quality of your semolina.
Steps to make the filling:
- Steam the dates for 20 minutes until they soften.
- In a food processor, mix the dates, the butter, the cinnamon and the ground nutmeg until you get a smooth date paste.
Steps to roll the Makrout:
- Make a roll with the dough.
- Make long rolls with the date paste.3- Make an incision in the middle of the dough and widen by sculting the middle of the roll.
- Place the date roll inside dough 'tunnel'.
- Close the dough roll by reshaping it by hand.
- Cut the dough roll into diagonal pieces.
I used a small mould to decorate the makrouts. I din't fry them in oil, but simply bake them in the oven.
Dip them in the flavored honey. The honey should be warm and flavored with blossom water following your taste.
This is a set of my pastries for Eid fitr